Friday, July 11, 2008

The fireman spin

Here's a quick pole dancing update, since peeps are curious and I had my first class last night.

The sum it up, from a fitness perspective: there are muscles I forgot I had that are aching this morning. It totally worked the thighs, abs, arms and back. Most especially the thighs, arms and back. The instructor said it really works the abs too, but I didn't notice it as much. One thing that should be noted is the potential for bruising. It's probably just a practice thing and over time it won't be much of an issue.

Now the non-fitness perspective: despite the name of the move we did near the end, I doubt any fireman (I know, "firefighter" is PC, but I believe there's nothing PC about pole dancing, so screw it) has ever done that with a pole, or at least done that and survived the inevitable harassment that would soon follow. The class also included some hair whipping and butt slapping. No joke! We actually had a short routine nailed by the end of the first session. The class, which only has six students, included lots of laughing and clapping. Perhaps that makes it good for body and soul.

As for the colour of the poles... they're silver.

4 comments:

John DM said...

What? No pictures?

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm off base here, but I think it's hard to pole dance and take pictures of one's self at the same time.

The dance sounds like a lot of fun.

John DM said...

well, a 10-second delay on the camera would help, but any passerby with an opposable thumb could be coerced into standing there and acting as a photographer. these pole dancing sessions are known for hijacking passersby and thrusting cameras into their hands, which is why a lack of photos in this case is highly suspicous. I expect she's holding out for an offer from Peeple magazine

Untamed scribe said...

Actually, this particular class, held in a windowless room at the gym, confused some guys who opened the door. A photo of the look on their faces would be priceless!

And I'm holding out for Cosmo. Or Maxim. Seems more their style ;)