Thursday, June 12, 2008

Attack of the killer tomatoes


Uncooked tomatoes have been pulled from Catholic school cafeterias in Ottawa. It's a precaution because of the salmonella scare in the U.S.

A trip to Harvey's last night proved other news to be true - some retailers and restaurants have pulled the red fruit from their shelves and/or menus. I was about to utter "lettuce, tomato, pickle..." to the staff member putting my burger together when I looked down, saw a lack of tomatoes, and then recalled the sign on the door saying they weren't offering it up.

Today I head to Tim Horton's and get a sandwich. I didn't have a chance to indicate what I wanted or didn't want on it because they had it put together before I was done at the cash. Back in the office, I realize I might be eating a killer sandwich. It has *gasp* uncooked tomatoes on it. Apparently Timmy Ho's isn't pulling anything as a "precaution." Perhaps their tomatoes are Canadian... which begs the question: why aren't the local schools and local businesses using locally produced (or at least nationally produced) fruit?

As an aside, with all the scares we had in the past year, I'm contemplating the planting of a garden. Should I embark on such a project, it will undoubtedly be a source of great amusement.

Update: Apparently Tim Horton's DID pull tomatoes. Perhaps the local store didn't read the memo.

No comments: