Sunday, June 1, 2008

Oh hail, the tornado forgot to come


A fiesty supercell passed through the city yesterday (is there any other kind of supercell?), bringing with it thunder, lightning, a torrential downpour and hail. I was in Barrhaven helping to clean-up after a get-together when the thunder resounded in the distance. It just kept randomly rumbling, never amounting to much, so it seemed to be more noise than anything. It looked like it might be swinging to the south, like so many storms here seem to do.

Once done, I got into the car and started heading home. Just as I pulled out, the rain started. No biggie. Then down the street a little way something bangs into my windshield. Hail. Within a few seconds all hell broke loose and everyone - including myself - pulled over to the side of the road as the gods pelted us with little balls of ice.

I'm not talking about a bit of ice, I'm talking LOTS. The wind picked up, the trees bowed over, sacrificing their leaves and even a few small branches to the storm, and the hail pounded down on us, threatening to break something expensive. At this point the need for a basement crossed my mind, but I was too busy watching for something more intense to happen. It didn't.

Anyway, when I got home I checked out my car. A blog headline I read a few years ago - "Oh hail, my Rio is dimpled" - flashed through my brain. My car is not dimpled. The paint, however, is chipped in a few spots. Like I said, it was some serious hail. Guess it's time to get some touch-ups done. That doesn't annoy me too much. It's the storm. After all that, it didn't even have the decency to whip up a tornado... even just a little one.

No comments: